Thursday 27 December 2012

UK Slangs

*Trying to keep adding posts before the year turns into 2013*
*Chasing the number closer to total posts in last year*
*Feel so obligated*

One of benefits and purposes of writing in English is to improve English skills. Grammar, Usage, and style are exactly what will be developed as we keep practicing. But I believe that's not all. In writing, when it comes to beauty, we have to pay attention to phrases, vocabularies, and also: Metaphor & Sarcasm *Debaters Alert*.



So here, aside from being cynical as usual, I think I have to also perform some usefulness for studious human being. However, being too serious is never fun. They say, Work Hard Play Hard. So let's find hard work that requires us to play it hard. Not to mention, if I post it here, the possibility for me to one day use it will be bigger, because I know where to find it.

So please welcome, UK Slangs, enjoy:

1. Lose the plot: to behave in a strange or silly way.
e.g. I can't believe Dean did that- he- must be losing the plot.

2. Head banger: a fan of rock music.
e.g. Mia's a head banger, she always goes to her favorite band's gigs every week.

3. Adam and Eve: believe.
e.g. I don't Adam and Eve it. It's not true that Dan is my sister's boyfriend.

4. Apples and pears: stairs.
e.g. Radit sprained his ankles when she fell down the apples and pears yesterday.

5. Cop it: to be punished because you've done something wrong.
e.g. You'll cop it if your parents find out you've stealing.

6. Five fingers discount: shoplifting.
e.g. He was charged with five fingers discount last month.

7. Get the nod: get the permission.
e.g. You'll need to get the nod from your parents if you want to attend summer camp.

8. Gutted: extremely disappointed and unhappy.
e.g. Gerard was gutted when Mikey broke his guitars.

9. Chivvy on: ask someone to do something they don't want to do.
e.g. I had to chivvy my brother on doing his homework

10. Hard stop: deadline.
e.g. I haven't slept for two days because I have a hard stop for my proposal tomorrow at 7 a.m.

Courtesy of https://api.twitter.com/EnglishTips4U
May this help our writing skill more flavourous in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment