Saturday 28 April 2012

Wo Xue Hanyu

Da jia hao!
Wo xianzai xuexi Hanyu. Hanyu bu rong yi, dan bu tai nan a.
Jia you!


What did I write? Very much new language I use for this blog. There it is, readers! I am now studying Chinese. You all have to be proud of me; you are indentured here to give me applause to finally decide to take the lesson of a subject I used to hate for like 3 years in High School. Not to mention I've ever got big 0 in its exam back at high school, my very first (and hopefully last) ZERO in life.

Wonder what makes me so eager to learn Chinese? No, not because it's fascinating. No way it is. I may like Singlish (English with Chinese accent, somehow), but I don't like speaking language that I can barely set my mouth and lips to pronounce the words. Poor my mouth! Ah, don't forget the tones it needs to differ the meaning of words. Ridiculously, exactly the same pronunciation has different meaning when it comes to different tones. So be careful when you say you're gonna "ask" (Wen) in Chinese, because it may mean you want to kiss (Wen, too, with different tone of speaking) your conversational partner. What the hell !?


We have to admit, Chinese people are overpopulated. People say, 1 out of 3 people in the world must be Chinese. Even sometimes, some of us just don't realize that we actually are Chinese too, by blood. Perhaps you just don't know if 3 up to 5 generations above you made you the descendant of Chinese because you think you have not the "eyes". But just wait until one of your children pops out giving an impression that your wife must have cheated on you, or (if you're a girl) the baby must have been swapped. The thing is, my general reason of reasons, Chinese people are simply everywhere as far as your eyes can see, and so is the language they bring.

Aside the common explanation why usually someone thinks they need to learn Chinese, of course there are some personal reasons I have. But beforehand, just so you know I had wanted to learn Chinese since in 6th grade and early of Junior High School before the reason I'd like to explain here. It's just back at the time my mom was clueless where to find teacher or place for Chinese Lesson. I think my reason at that moment was because I watched a lot of Taiwanese Drama Series and listened to the songs. One of I liked most was At The Dolphin Bay; speaking of which I'm a big fan of Angela Zhang.

Enough with interlude. Now come my 2 main reasons of why I decided to learn Chinese. First, it's because I met Steve in BIND. Second, it's because of EAMSC 2012 in Singapore. Below's the elaboration.

1. I was so rhapsodic with the fact that Steve was able to speak English very much well with sophisticated and intriguing vocabularies and style, able to speak Japanese and Chinese too. Means he was able to speak 4 languages (including Indonesian). Not to mention, he's now able to speak French and I think a little bit Spanish too. That's just awe! Well, he learned French due to the course he has had in campus, but Spanish, he learned it by himself with reason: Self-Development, and jealousy towards those who put more than 5 languages in their facebook. What a marvelous guy!

2. What happened in EAMSC 2012 that has driven me to want to learn Chinese? There were some evidences. Like, let's say, I sat in in the front seat while the rest of EAMSC friends (from not Indonesia) sat in the rear seat, they talked in Chinese with the taxi driver and each other, and all things I could do was looking at the scenery outside window until the taxi driver asked me "where are you from a?". It was like "finally someone stops ignoring me!", inward. I hope you understand how much I was so damned at the time. Then afterglow, in Skype some of AMSA-INA friends like William Cheng and Ivan Kurniadi talked in Chinese so that the others wouldn't be able to understand what they were gossiping about. The hell I could stand resisting gossip!

I don't know for others, but for me they all are enough to reason me learning Chinese. Honestly I also want to learn Japanese at the same time, but it seems I haven't got the chance yet. Suprisingly even for myself, the main stakeholder, I've managed to make very much neat notes for my 4 attendances of the Chinese class, whereas I haven't had any notes for my almost 2 years presence in Medicine. Probably I love my Chinese class much more than Medicine (honestly, it seems no way I can love Medicine~). I just need to have more practice in tones especially, to make me fluent in speaking. Furthermore I expect myself, not only able in speaking, but also can memorize every single Hanzi.

As now, more than admiring Steve or counterattacking those AMSA people and the taxi driver (just watch you guys, I'll show it off when we meet again), I call it as Self-Development. I think it's cool if I happen to be able to speak Chinese as well as English. Maybe I can join Chinese Debate Competition one day. Lol.
Well, I think that's all.
Zajian!

No comments:

Post a Comment